The following minimum requirements have been established for the position of Branch Librarian.
- Graduation from a standard four-year high school or equivalent (GED).
- One (1) year of experience related to some or all of the key responsibilities listed below.
- Valid Mississippi Driver’s License.
- Communicate and interact effectively with the public in order to conduct transactions, accept requests for information, explain services, and provide other assistance as necessary.
- Supervise the circulation of all library materials and equipment.
- Supervise the shelving and maintenance of all library collections and resources.
- Ensure adequate supplies of library materials are available.
- Collect statistical data and prepare reports as required.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of library policies and operations, and an ability to carry out and explain those policies when necessary.
- Maintain an interest, enthusiasm, and knowledge of the informational, educational, and recreational needs of library patrons, as well as current library services and materials.
- Participate in relevant professional development activities.
- Plan, conduct, and participate in programs and activities which promote and encourage library use.
- Maintain an understanding and ability to use all relevant technology, including but not limited to library computers, library automation software, the internet, and clerical equipment.
- Suggest materials to be ordered which meet the needs and interests of library patrons.
- Train and supervise relevant staff, including substitute librarians and volunteers.
- Create and maintain patron records and accounts.
- Collect, record, and account for all monies received in the library.
- Maintain a welcoming, orderly, neat, and safe library environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director.
- Work Ethic: Is productive, diligent, conscientious, timely, and loyal. Conscientiously abides by rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Service Orientation: Demonstrates a commitment to quality public service through statements and actions. Seeks to understand and meets and/or exceeds the needs and expectations of customers. Responds to requests in a professional manner, even in difficult circumstances. Provides accurate and timely service. Develops positive relationship with customers.
- Self Management Skills: Effectively manages emotions and impulses and maintains a positive attitude. Works effectively and cooperatively with others to achieve goals. Treats all people with respect, courtesy, and consideration. Adheres to high ethical standards. Avoids conflicts of interest. Continuously evaluates and adapts; copes effectively with change.
- Accountability: Accepts responsibility for actions and results. Focuses on quality and expends the necessary time and effort to achieve goals. Maintains necessary attention to detail. Has knowledge of how to perform one’s job.
- Self-Development: Adapts behavior or work methods in response to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles.
- Professional Maturity: Takes initiative to accomplish stated and unstated goals. Manages conflicts and defuses situations. Knows when to refer an issue to the appropriate level when required. Responds appropriately to supervision and administrative decisions. Maintains appropriate levels of professionalism.
- Library Advocacy: Communicates the importance of library services to the public.
- Communication Skills: Receives, attends to, interprets, and responds to verbal and written messages and expresses information to individuals or groups effectively.
- Results Oriented: Plans effectively to achieve or exceed goals, sets and meets deadlines.
- Resource Management: Demonstrates ability to plan, prioritize, and organize.
Special Working Conditions:
Employee may be required to work with minimal or full supervision. Tasks may be repetitive and often require standing or sitting for long periods of time. Employee may frequently exert force equivalent to lifting up to 25 pounds and/or occasionally exert force equivalent to lifting up to approximately 50 pounds. Employee may encounter environment that is dusty and/or dirty with a lack of environmental control. Must have the physical ability to climb a step stool and rolling ladder, move a book truck, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch and bend.
The East Mississippi Regional Library reserves the right to modify job duties or job descriptions at any time.